Liability to register
(1) Every dealer whose total turnover exceeds or who reasonably expects his total turnover to exceed two lakhs rupees, as computed under the provisions of the Karnataka Sales Tax Act 1957 (Karnataka Act 25 of 1957), in the year ending Thirty First day of March 2005 shall be liable to be registered and report such liability on such date as may be notified by the Government.
(2) Every dealer who at any time has reason to believe that his taxable turnover is likely to exceed two lakhs rupees during any year after the year ending Thirty First day of March 2005 shall be liable to be registered and report such liability forthwith or on such date as may be notified by the Government.
(3) Every dealer whose taxable turnover exceeds fifteen thousand rupees in any one month after the date from which the tax shall be levied, in accordance with Section 3, and every dealer executing a works contract whose receipts or amounts receivable by way of consideration towards work executed exceed fifteen thousand rupees in any one month after the date from which the tax shall be levied, shall register forthwith.
(4) Every dealer to whom a business or part of a business is transferred by another dealer who is liable to be registered under this Act, shall apply for registration from the date of that transfer, if he is not already registered.
(5) Every dealer liable to register under sub-sections (2), (3) or (4) shall report his liability to be registered in the prescribed manner at the end of the month on which that liability arises or on such date as may be notified under sub-section (2).
(6) Every dealer who obtains or brings taxable goods from outside the State, whether as a result of purchase or otherwise, shall be liable to be registered after such first purchase or procurement irrespective of the value of goods purchased or procured and shall report such liability at the end of the month in which such purchase or procurement takes place.
(7) Every dealer who exports taxable goods is liable to register after the first export and shall report such liability at the end of the month in which such export takes place.
(8) Every dealer who effects sale of taxable goods in the course of interstate trade or commerce or dispatches taxable goods to a place outside the State is liable to register after the first sale or dispatch and shall report such liability at the end of the month in which such sale or dispatch takes place.
(9) Every casual trader and every non-resident dealer or his agent shall be liable to register after his first sale irrespective of the value of the taxable goods sold and shall report such liability forthwith.
(9-A)Every dealer engaged in the execution of works contract shall be liable to register and shall report such liability after the end of the month in which execution of any works contract is undertaken.
(10) In determining whether a person is liable to be registered under sub-sections (1), (2) or (3), the prescribed authority may have regard to the total or taxable turnover or total receipts of any other person where both persons are associates, and, where the prescribed authority deems that any business has been deliberately broken up into smaller businesses to avoid registration, the prescribed authority may issue a notice requiring those businesses to be registered as one business entity.