Furnishing of Information by Clearing, Forwarding or Booking Agent, Government Departments, Banks, Financial Institutions, Warehouses, Godowns, Cold Storages and any other Person
(1) Every clearing, forwarding or booking agent, Government Departments, Banks, Financial Institutions, warehouses, godowns, cold storages or Broker or a person transporting goods who in course of his business handles the document of title to the goods or transports goods or takes delivery of goods for or on behalf of a dealer and having his place of business in the State of Jharkhand, shall furnish information about his place of business to the Prescribed Authority, within such time and in such manner as may be prescribed.
(2) Every such agent or person shall maintain true and complete accounts, registers and documents, as may be prescribed, in respect of the goods handled by him and the documents of title relating thereto and shall produce the said accounts, registers and documents before the prescribed authority as and when required by him.
(3) If any agent or person referred to in sub-section (1) contravenes the provisions of sub-section (2) in a manner, which is likely to lead to evasion of any tax payable under this Act, the Prescribed Authority may, without prejudice to any action under Section 84, on charge of abetment, after giving such agent or person an opportunity of being heard, direct him to pay by way of penalty an amount which shall be equal to three times the amount of tax calculated on the value of goods in respect of which complete particulars have not been furnished or incorrect particulars or information have been furnished.
(4) Every bank, including any branch of a bank, or any clearing house in the State, or any financial institution, department of Government, corporation, institution, organizations or companies, boards, authorities, undertakings or any bodies owned, financed or controlled wholly or partly by the State Government or Central Government; or
(5) Every clearing, forwarding or booking agent or Broker or a person engaged in the business of transporting goods shall, if so required by any authority appointed under Section 4, furnish any such particulars as may be required by such authority in respect of the transactions of any dealer with or through such banks or clearing house or any financial institution, department of Government, corporations, institutions, organization or companies, boards, authorities, undertakings or any other body owned, financed or controlled wholly or partly by the State Government or the Central Government relating to sales or purchases of goods by such dealers.
Explanation: For the purposes of this sub-section.-
(i) “Broker” shall include a person who renders his services for booking of, or taking delivery of, consignment of goods at a Railway station, booking agency, goods transport company office, or any place of loading or unloading of goods or contrives, makes and concludes bargains and contracts for or on behalf of any dealer for a fee, reward, commission, remuneration or other valuable consideration or otherwise.
(ii) “Person transporting goodsc shall, besides the owner, include the manager, agent, driver or employee of the owner, or person in charge of a place of loading or unloading of goods other than a rail-head, or a post office, or of a goods carrier carrying such goods, or a person who accepts consignments of such goods for dispatch to other places or gives delivery of any consignment of such goods to the consignee.