(1) Every registered dealer making a taxable sale to another dealer, shall provide to the purchaser, at the time of sale with a Tax Invoice or Retail Invoice, containing such-particulars as specified in sub-section (2), and retain a copy thereof.
(2) The tax invoice shall not be issued by a dealer in the following circumstances,-
(a) a retail registered dealer who is paying presumptive tax in lieu of Value Added Tax under Section 22 or Composition Tax under Section 58 or
(b) the sale in the course of export out of the territory of India; or
(c) the sale of goods exempt from tax
(3) Not more than one tax invoice shall be issued for each taxable sale.
(4) The tax invoice issued under sub-section (1) shall contain the following particulars on the original as well as copies thereof-
(a) the word ‘Tax Invoice’ in bold letter at the top or any prominent place;
(b) the name, address and registration certificate number of the selling, registered dealer.
(c) the name, address and registration certificate number of the purchasing registered dealer;
(d) an individual serialized number and the date on which the tax invoice is issued.
(e) description, quantity, volume and value of goods sold and amount tax charged thereon indicated separately;
(f) statement of account, bill cash register, slip receipt or similar record, regardless of its forms be kept separately.
(g) signature of the selling dealer or his servant, manager or agent, duly authorised by him;
(h) the name and address of the printer, and first and last serial number of tax invoices printed and supplied by him to the dealer;
(5) Except when tax invoice is issued under sub-section (1), if a registered dealer sells any goods exceeding such amount in value as may be prescribed, in anyone transaction to any person, he shall issue to the purchaser a retail invoice and retain a copy thereof.
(6) The retail invoice shall contain the following particulars on the original as well as copies thereof;
(a) the words ‘Retail Invoice’ or ‘Cash Memo-random’ or ‘Bill’ in bold letters at the top or in a prominent place;
(b) the name, address and registration certificate number of the selling registered dealer;
(c) in case the sale is in course of export out of the territory of India, the name, address and registration number, if any, of the purchasing dealer/ foreign buyer and the type of statutory form, if any against which the sale has been made;
(d) an individual serialized number and the date on which the retail invoice is issued;
(e) description, quantity, volume and value of goods sold inclusive of tax, charged thereon;
(f) signature of the selling dealer or his servant, manager or agent, duly authroised by him.
(g) the name and address of the printer, and last serial number of retail invoices printed and supplied by him to the dealer
(7) Tax invoice shall be issued in triplicate. The original and the first copy shall be issued to the purchaser or the person taking delivery of the goods, as the case may be, and the second copy shall be retained by the selling dealer.
(8) Retail invoice shall be issued in duplicate. The original shall be issued to the purchaser and the duplicate copy shall be retained by the selling dealer.
(9) Every dealer referred to in sub-section (1) shall preserve books of account including tax invoices and retail invoices until the expiry of five years after the end of the year to which they relate or for such other period as may be prescribed or until the assessment reaches its finality whichever is later.
(10) Where such dealer is party to any appeal, or revision under this Act he shall retain, until the appeal or revision is finally disposed of, every record and accounts that pertain to the subject matter of the appeal or revision.